JOB SUMMARY :
Lead the design, development, and validation of new wheel and tire projects in the Off-Road Vehicles Division. This includes writing detailed specifications to meet vehicle requirements, working with external vendors to design the parts, 3D CAD and drawing creation, and creating a detailed DVP&R test plan. Frequent communication with Product Management and Industrial Design required. Leading both lab-based tests as well as in-field analysis required. In addition, must also work with Service, Purchasing, internal Manufacturing, supplier quality and external vendors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Work closely with product team and engineering architects to define tire and wheel requirements and specifications early in vehicle product development process.
- Create wheel designs in CAD by working closely with Industrial design and other wheel and tire engineers.
- Lead the creation of CAD tire envelopes for all new product development.
- Support manufacturing and field problem resolution. Investigate NPS issues related to wheel and tire systems. Recommend and implement solutions.
- Work with the ORV design group, and outside suppliers to ensure production drawings are accurate and properly dimensioned (using KPC’s and GD&T).
- Perform relevant tolerance stack up analysis to ensure clearances are maintained.
- Lead benchmarking activity around tires and wheels.
- Create and maintain design guidelines and validation plans. Communicate to project and validation teams. Participate on related peer teams
- Maintain knowledge of emerging tire and wheel technologies and application that apply to off road vehicles. Identify and prioritize features and concepts that may be patentable and support the patent process.
- Design, validation, and production support of lugnut torque processes.
- Support on boarding of new vendors and cost down activities as needed.
- Other Duties as required.