Artificial Intelligence (AI) is often mixed with Machine Learning (ML). AI is a process of adding wisdom or intelligence so that it can make a complex decision as that of Human whereas Machine learning is the process of making machine learning based on data so to reduce the number of errors . AI is stretching the horizons to a new dimension in the field of battle. On every second day, it becomes the news in media that some smart vehicle is introduced in the armed forces of the nation. At battlefields, it is highly required that the decision-maker should be dynamic and should filter the information across the battlefield. It is not adequate for people to analyses all the data, as the modern battlefield is marked by dramatic moves, sudden developments, chaotic behaviour and nonlinear conditions . The ingredient of Artificial Intelligence (AI) allows others to investigate a wider range of options to discuss more possible options at the same time and to examine these options more closely. There are many doors which are been unlocked by introducing AI on the battlefield, some of them are:
- Wireless Adhoc Networking: This is an assortment of wireless mobile nodesAdhoc network which means the nodes are free to move in any direction but within the range. As at the time or war potage or in some remote area where the setting of towers is not possible Adhoc networks plays an important role. It is a plug and play type network which saves a lot of time and resources . There are three types of Adoc networks.
- MANET: MANET is Mobile Adhoc Network in which mobile devices like walky-talky use to communicate with each other.
- VANET: VANET is Vehicle Adhoc Network is a subdomain of Ad-hoc networkwhere vehicles are integrated with AI So that they can communicate with each other.
- FANET: FANET stands for Flying Adhoc Network which deals with unmanned vehicles. This application is highly used in Drones.
- Cyber Security: The information of armed forces and highly influential and prone to cyber-attack. The use of an AI-equipped system with cryptography and other updated software protects the system from most of the attacks.
- Target Recognition:In complex combat settings AI methods are designed to improve the accuracy of target recognition. These methods enable defence forces in the analysis of reports, documents, news feeds and other forms of unstructured information to achieve an in-depth understanding of potential area operations. AI further increases the ability of these systems to determine the position of their objectives with target recognition systems.AI-enabled target recognition systems include the possibilities of anticipating or flagging potential supply lines with bottlenecks or vulnerabilities based on enemy behavers, evaluating mission approaches, and suggesting mitigation strategies.
- Battlefield Healthcare:Robotic Ground Platforms (RGPs) andRobotic Surgical Systems (RSS) are integrated with AI for evacuation and small surgeries at the war field. The United States is especially active in developing RSS, RGPs and other fighting systems.