Clips version 3.1 lets users scan a space using the LiDAR Scanner on iPhone 12 Pro and iPad Pro models to apply fun, engaging video effects that transform their world
This breakthrough technology measures light distance and uses pixel depth information of a scene to deliver faster and more realistic augmented reality (AR) experiences. Combined with the tight integration of Apple’s hardware and software, Clips 3.1 now enables users to record amazing videos with magical effects that map to the shape of a room and the objects within it.
With AR Spaces in Clips 3.1, users can easily scan a room and see a live preview of effects that bring dynamic lighting, falling objects, and immersive scenes to life. Using the rear camera on a supported iPhone or iPad,2 users will see effects appear on walls, floors, surfaces, furniture, and objects.
Clips 3.1 includes seven new AR Spaces effects to choose from:
- Prism: Ribbons of rainbow light scan the walls, floors, and objects in a room.
- Confetti: Celebratory bursts of confetti fall and accumulate on flat surfaces.
- Disco: Shining lights reflect off the disco ball that hangs from the ceiling of the space.
- Dance Floor: Colorful tiles of light dance in patterns across the floor.
- Sparkles: Golden sparkle emoji and white glitter fill the space.
- Stardust: Magical trails of starlight encircle and follow a person in the video.
- Hearts: Floating heart balloons bubble up within the space.
Using AR segmentation and occlusion, Clips recognises people in the video and projects the AR Spaces effects in front of and behind them, making it feel as if the effects are all around the space and subjects. AR Spaces can also be combined with all of the animated stickers, text labels, and emoji overlays — and can be recorded in all aspect ratios in Clips, including 9:16 vertical, 16:9 horizontal, and square.