Our Company is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Our Company has codified its 125-year legacy. Our Company’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Our Company’s Global Commercial Human Health division partners with colleagues from across all geographies and divisions to help serve our patients and customers around the world. This position is a “hands-on” role which is global in nature, working closely with delivery leaders across divisional and enterprise IT teams.
This role involves working with our partners across the organization to help them answer business questions with the use of advanced analytics and data science. You will be working with a scrum team comprising of data scientists, business analysts, data engineers, and subject matter experts to deliver well-defined projects. You will be tasked with converting business problems into an analytics framing and creating machine learning models and retraining systems. You might also have to work to make models scalable and efficient (parallelizing, using appropriate libraries, adding basic efficiencies from the code/data/architectures). This can also entail building or rewriting the model from scratch. Creating a model governance architecture for retraining (upon drift) will also be your responsibility. In addition, creating the architecture/framework for performance evaluation and feedback loop will also be expected, prior to handover to ML Ops team.
Your model deployment will most likely be in the cloud, and we’ll look for the appropriate experience at your end. Some reporting and visualization skills will come in handy too. You don’t have to be an expert in any of these topics but need to be able to demonstrate aptitude and some experience. Experience with healthcare data is a plus. Healthcare data is sometimes unstructured and mostly in the form of text and images, so NLP and/or computer vision experience is a desirable. We will look to your help in creating technical roadmaps for the projects, and in their nimble execution.
- Select analytical techniques and model methods best to solve business problems.
- Ensures best practices sharing and across the organization.
- Able to work functionally in the matrix setup.
- Enable delivery of data-analytics projects. Have deep knowledge of the company’s supported technology; understand the whole complexity/dependencies between multiple teams, platforms (people, technologies).
- Communicate intensively with other platform/competencies to comprehend new trends and methodologies being implemented/considered within the company ecosystem.
- Understands the customer/stakeholder’s business needs/priorities and helps building solutions that support our business goals.
- Establish and manages the close relationship with customers/stakeholders.
- Is tactical and develops production-grade models while thinking strategically.
- Contribute to innovative experiments, specifically to idea generation, idea incubation and/or experimentation, identifying tangible and measurable criteria.
Education Minimum Requirements:
- BA degree in Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or related quantitative field
- MS or PhD a plus
Required Experience and Skills:
- Some experience in Applied Machine Learning, and cloud environments (AWS, Azure, GCP).
- Self-motivation, proactivity, and ability to work independently with minimum direction.
- Excellent business acumen, with proven ability to understand business processes in detail – both at global and region/country levels – and translate these into user stories and detailed business requirements.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, along with the ability to communicate appropriately and confidently with colleagues from different backgrounds and seniority levels.
- Hands-on experience writing production-grade ML code.
- Internship experience in cross-functional data teams is preferred.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Hands on coding experience in Python/R/Scala/Java or any other OOP; ETL using SQL/shell scripting.
- Experience in TensorFlow/Torch libraries; SageMaker, Databricks, MLflow Spark/distributed compute environment.
- Experience using cloud-based SQL & noSQL databases (Redshift, BQ, Athena, Mongo, so on).
- Experiences with project management and data analytics project delivery. Ability to communicate with business user/customer and with IT operations. Good overview of complex Data analytics solutions, ability to explain consequences to both IT and business.
Our Human Health Division maintains a “patient first, profits later” ideology. The organization is comprised of sales, marketing, market access, digital analytics and commercial professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing our medicines to our customers worldwide.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world’s most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers’ Policy – Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
New hires in office-based roles in the US & Puerto Rico will be required, subject to applicable law, to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement that can be accommodated without an undue burden to the operation. However, subject to applicable law, employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as employees in health services, customer facing commercial, or research based roles, will be required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Residents of Colorado:
Click here to request this role’s pay range.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
VISA Sponsorship: Yes
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:1